MINUTES OF THE JOINT REGULAR MEETING OF THE TYE ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION AND THE TYE INDUSTRIAL DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION, TYE, TEXAS
MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 11th, 2023
The Tye Economic Development and the Tye Industrial Development Corporations met for a Regular meeting on Monday, September 11th, 2023, at 6:00 PM, at 649 Scott Street, Tye, Texas 79563 in Suite 111.
- Call to Order – George Deffenbaugh, President of the Board of the Tye Industrial/Economic Development Corporations called the meeting to order at 6:09 PM.
Members present – George Deffenbaugh, Barbara Kotrlik, Ken Arnold, Janie Ritter, Linda Parsons
Members absent – Kenny Dry, Vada Childers
Others Present – Mayor Nancy Moore, Donna Kendrick, Gwen Sutton
- Invocation – Given by Janie Ritter.
- Public Comment – At this time, any person with business not scheduled on the agenda may speak to the Board of Directors. No formal action can be taken on these items at this meeting. Citizens speaking time may not exceed three (3) minutes without the consent of the Board of Directors. – No comments.
- Discuss and Consider: Approval of joint minutes for both TEDCO and TIDCO from August 14th, 2023, and September 5th, 2023.
Motion made by Janie Ritter to approve the joint minutes for both TEDCO and TIDCO from August 14th, 2023, and September 5th, 2023. Linda Parsons seconded the motion. Motion carried.
- Discuss and Consider: Approval of financials for both TEDCO and TIDCO for August 2023.
Motion made by Barbara Kotrlik to approve the financials for both TEDCO and TIDCO for August 2023. Ken Arnold seconded the motion. Motion carried.
- Discuss and Consider: Adopting Resolution R-23-06 Investment Policy for TEDCO and Resolution R-23-07 Investment Policy for TIDCO for the 2023-2024 Fiscal Year.
Staff presented the Boards with the Investment Policies for both TEDCO and TIDCO for the 2023-2024 Fiscal Year. Staff explained that there were no major changes made to the investment policies and some grammatical errors had been corrected. Linda Parsons pointed out some grammatical errors that Staff had missed in both policies, and George Deffenbaugh was concerned about the wording of the second paragraph of both policies. The Boards collectively agreed that the policies should be tabled until Staff corrected the grammatical errors that were pointed out and to re-word the second paragraph or check with the City Attorney about the original wording. Motion made by Barbara Kotrlik to table the item. Ken Arnold seconded the motion. Motion carried.
- Discuss and Consider: Resuming City Hall landscaping and mowing by Donna Kendrick, funded by TEDCO and TIDCO.
Staff explained to the Boards that landscaping for 649 Scott Street was officially handed over to the City from Tedco/Tidco in May of this year. Staff also explained that Donna Kendrick had asked the City Council at their last meeting to resume her landscaping duties due to her crew’s special care of the property; care of the property that Donna said is not being properly given by Public Works. Staff shared that the City Council agreed to let Donna Kendrick resume landscaping at City Hall as long as Tedco/Tidco agreed to fund it.
After some discussion, motion made by Barbara Kotrlik to allow Donna Kendrick to resume landscaping duties at City Hall, jointly funded by TEDCO and TIDCO. Linda Parsons seconded the motion. Motion carried.
- Discuss and Consider: Possible acceptance of 130 South Street from the City of Tye.
Staff informed the Boards that the City Council had gone through a sealed bidding process on a vacant property located at 130 South Street. Staff explained that the City Council had not received any bids on the property and that the City Council had offered to convey this property to Tedco and/or Tidco if the Boards agree to it. A discussion was had by the Boards as to potential uses for the property, creating a southside downtown area once the northside downtown area is complete, adjacent landowners, and zoning on the property. Motion made by Janie Ritter to accept 130 South Street from the City of Tye. Linda Parsons seconded the motion. Motion carried.
- Discussion Only: Executive Director’s report regarding current projects.
Staff shared that financing options for the new downtown area were still being collected. Staff also informed the Boards that we coordinated with Taylor County to open up a cooling station at the community center due to residential power outages from storms and that we also coordinated with Tye Police to open the community center for Merkel ISD kids that live in Tye Town that were unable to get home on the buses because of a fire on Flamingo Road.
- Adjournment: Motion made by Ken Arnold to adjourn at 7:14 PM. Barbara Kotrlik seconded the motion. Motion carried.
George Deffenbaugh/President Cody Ellis/CEO