MINUTES OF THE JOINT REGULAR CALLED MEETING OF THE TYE ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION AND THE TYE INDUSTRIAL DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION, TYE TEXAS
MONDAY, MAY 10TH 2021
The Tye Economic Development and the Tye Industrial Development Corporations met for a Regular Called meeting on Monday, May 10th at 5:30 pm, at 649 Scott Street, Tye, Texas 79563.
- Call to Order – George Deffenbaugh President of Board of the Tye Industrial/Economic Development Corporations called the meeting to order at 5:34 pm.
Members present – George Deffenbaugh, Danette Dunlap, Vada Childers, Janie Ritter, Barbara Kotrlik, Ken Arnold (arrived at 5:36 pm), Kenny Dry (arrived at 5:39 pm)
Members absent – None
Others Present – Lena Minor, Sharon Hicks, Belinda Hohhertz – City Secretary
- Invocation – Given by Janie Ritter.
- Oath of Office – City Secretary Belinda Hohhertz administered the Statement of Office and Oath of Office to newly appointed Director Barbara Kotrlik.
- Public Comment – At this time, any person with business not scheduled on the agenda may speak to the Board of Directors. No formal action can be taken on these items at this meeting. Citizens speaking time may not exceed three (3) minutes without the consent of the Board of Directors. – No Comments
- Discuss and Consider: Approval of joint minutes for both TEDCO and TIDCO from April 12th, 2021.
Motion made by Danette Dunlap to approve the joint minutes for both TEDCO and TIDCO from April 12th, 2021. Ken Arnold seconded the motion. Motion carried.
- Discuss and Consider: Approval of financials for both TEDCO and TIDCO from April 2021.
Motion made by Vada Childers to approve the financials for both TEDCO and TIDCO from April 2021. Barbara Kotrlik seconded the motion. Motion carried.
- Discuss and Consider: Adding an additional portable restroom at Rister Park.
After some discussion, it was decided to add an additional Handicap Portable Restroom at Rister Park. Vada Childers expressed that she would like to have the two restrooms labeled separately as “Men/Women” and directed staff to do so.
Motion made by Janie Ritter to add an additional portable restroom at Rister Park. Kenny Dry seconded the motion. Motion carried.
- Discuss and Consider: Adding a load of gravel in front of ATX Auction’s bay door.
Lena Minor from ATX Auctions spoke briefly about the need to add a load of gravel in front of their bay door. She stated that since we have repaved the driveway, the rainwater is now collecting in front of their door.
After some discussion, Vada Childers expressed that she would like to have staff get an additional quote from JH Strain to do the entire south side area.
Motion made by Vada Childers to table the item. Kenny Dry then expressed that he would like to get the work done as quick as possible due to the rainy season. The boards agreed. Motion died.
After some further discussion, George Deffenbaugh mentioned the use millings instead of gravel. The boards also expressed that they would like to have millings for that entire portion of the south side in front of ATX Auctions and the Tye Fire Department. Kenny Dry suggested to give staff a $1,500.00 budget for the millings and packing with work to be completed by JH Strain Co.
Motion made by Kenny Dry to give staff a $1,500.00 budget for milling material and packing with work to be completed by JH Strain Co. Vada Childers seconded the motion. Motion carried.
- Discuss and Consider: July 4th Fireworks Show and consideration of funding the show (both boards)
Staff gave a background of previous sponsorship for the July 4th Fireworks. Previously, both boards have sponsored the event in the amount of $3,750.00 per board, or $7,500.00 total. Staff explained that we have more than enough funds in our advertising/promotions budget lines to cover the expense.
After some discussion, Danette Dunlap mentioned that the City has not yet approved the Fireworks show, but it will be discussed at next week’s Council Meeting. The boards expressed that they would like to go ahead and approve the item subject to City Council approving the same item at their next meeting.
Motion made by Danette Dunlap to approve the sponsorship of the July 4th Fireworks Show in the amount of $3,750.00 per board subject to City Council’s actions. Ken Arnold seconded the motion. Motion carried.
- Discuss and Consider: Review of the TEDCO/TIDCO bylaws, amend if needed and make recommendations to the City Council if needed.
Vada Childers expressed concerns that the CEO position of TEDCO/TIDCO is now a City of Tye employee.
The boards then decided that an Executive Session was necessary under Section 551.071, Consultation with Attorney and George Deffenbaugh announced that we were entering Executive Session at 6:05 pm. It was announced that the boards came back into open session at 6:16pm.
No votes or action was taken on Agenda Item Number 10 or Executive Session.
- Executive Session: Section 551.071 – Consultation With Attorney, Section 551.072 – Deliberations About Real Property, Section 551.078 – Deliberations Regarding Economic Development Negotiations.
George Deffenbaugh announced the boards were going into Executive Session at 6:18 pm regarding 551.071, 551.072, and 551.078. It was announced that the boards came back into open session at 6:45 pm.
Motion made by Kenny Dry to direct staff to obtain quotes for the demolition of the Tye Methodist Church located at 205 Taylor St. Tye, TX 79563. Vada Childers seconded the motion. Motion carried.
- Adjournment – Motion made by Kenny Dry to adjourn at 6:45 p.m. Ken Arnold seconded the motion. Motion carried.
George Deffenbaugh/President Cody Ellis/CEO