MINUTES OF THE JOINT REGULAR CALLED MEETING OF THE TYE ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION AND THE TYE INDUSTRIAL DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION, TYE, TEXAS
MONDAY, APRIL 11th, 2022
The Tye Economic Development and the Tye Industrial Development Corporations met for a Regular Called meeting on Monday, April 11th, 2022, at 6:00 pm, at 649 Scott Street, Tye, Texas 79563.
- Call to Order – Danette Dunlap President of the Board of the Tye Industrial/Economic Development Corporations called the meeting to order at 6:01 pm.
Members present – Danette Dunlap, Ken Arnold, Kenny Dry, Barbara Kotrlik, George Deffenbaugh, Janie Ritter
Members absent – Vada Childers
Others Present – City Secretary Rita Monterrosa, City Attorney Sharon Hicks, Dale Garner, Michael Hamby, Erik Johnson, Doug Fish, Brian Bluhm, Kevin Jackson
- Invocation – Given by George Deffenbaugh.
- Public Comment – At this time, any person with business not scheduled on the agenda may speak to the Board of Directors. No formal action can be taken on these items at this meeting. Citizens speaking time may not exceed three (3) minutes without the consent of the Board of Directors. – No comments.
- Discuss and Consider: Approval of joint minutes for both TEDCO and TIDCO from March 28th, 2022.
Motion made by Ken Arnold to approve the joint minutes for both TEDCO and TIDCO from March 28th, 2022. George Deffenbaugh seconded the motion. Motion carried.
- Discuss and Consider: Approval of financials for both TEDCO and TIDCO for March 2022.
Motion made by George Deffenbaugh to approve the financials for both TEDCO and TIDCO from March 2022. Barbara Kotrlik seconded the motion. Motion carried.
- Discuss and Consider: Approval of Audit Report for both TEDCO and TIDCO for Fiscal Year 2021 from Merritt, McLane, & Hamby.
Michael Hamby presented the board with the annual Audit Report for the previous fiscal year. He explained the report and stated that the Audit Report was clean with no irregularities.
Motion made by George Deffenbaugh to approve the Audit Report for both TEDCO and TIDCO for Fiscal Year 2021. Janie Ritter seconded the motion. Motion carried.
- Discuss and Consider: Entering into an agreement with Paul Johnson & Associates Realtors to list vacant office spaces in the Small Business Incubator.
Erik Johnson presented the board with an agreement to list the vacant office spaces in the Small Business Incubator. Staff explained that we have advertised the office spaces on social media to no avail and partnering with Paul Johnson & Associates realtors might give us the solution that we need to generate interest and gain businesses in the Small Business Incubator.
After some discussion, the board collectively felt that some more time was needed to address some details in the agreement, but Erik Johnson added that he could still go ahead and list the office spaces on his website without a written agreement in place to generate some interest.
Motion made by George Deffenbaugh to table a long-term written agreement to list the office spaces and approve a short-term verbal agreement to list the offices spaces through Paul Johnson & Associates Realtors. Ken Arnold seconded the motion. Motion carried.
- Discuss and Consider: Remove from table – asbestos abatement for the Tye Methodist Church property.
Motion made by Barbara Kotrlik to remove the item from the table. Ken Arnold seconded the motion. Motion carried.
Staff explained that we were able to contact Abilene ISD to answer the question the board had about AAR Incorporated. Staff spoke with the head of purchasing for Abilene ISD and she explained that AAR Incorporated does in fact handle demolition and asbestos removal for the school district and that they are a reputable company.
After some discussion, the board had some questions for AAR Incorporated about their exclusions list on their bid concerning water and electricity and asked staff to contact them by phone during the meeting.
The board then took a recess at 6:55 pm and reconvened and 7:09 pm.
Staff was able to talk to the project coordinator for AAR Incorporated during the recess and found out that the amount of water needed for the asbestos removal was a relatively small amount of about 400 gallons and that they had their own water tanks. Staff explained that the water tanks could be filled up at the Small Business Incubator if needed. In regard to electricity, the project coordinator stated that they only have one company generator, and it is usually booked for bigger projects and if we wanted to use their generator that we would have wait and be put on their schedule, which could be a few months. He recommended that the board find a local equipment rental company that rents generators and to the best of his knowledge that rental fees are generally $800.00 to $900.00 per week.
Motion made by George Deffenbaugh to select the asbestos abatement bid from AAR Incorporated for $27,700.00 and approve asbestos consulting from Enprotec/Hibbs & Todd for $8,000.00 and allow staff to rent a generator under the purchasing guidelines for the CEO with funds to come from TEDCO (Budget Line Item 6810 Projects General). Kenny Dry seconded the motion. Motion carried.
- Executive Session: The commission reserves the right to adjourn into executive session at any time during the meeting to discuss any of the matters listed, as authorized by Texas Government Code, Section 551.071 (Consultation With Attorney), Section 551.072 (Deliberations About Real Property), Section 551.087 (Economic Development), Project Teamwork
Danette Dunlap announced that the boards were entering Executive Session at 7:22 pm. It was announced that the boards came back into Open Session at 8:33 pm. No votes or action was taken in Executive Session.
Motion made by George Deffenbaugh to allow staff to continue working on Project Teamwork. Ken Arnold seconded the motion. Motion carried.
- Adjournment: Motion made by George Deffenbaugh to adjourn at 8:33 PM. Janie Ritter seconded the motion. Motion carried.
Danette Dunlap/President Cody Ellis/CEO